Monuments

Botanical Garden

Padova - via Orto Botanico 15

Visited along the routes:

Scientific route

 

It has been part of the UNESCO World Heritage List since 1997.

It was inaugurated in 1545 with a decree of the Venetian Senate and it was established as “giardino dei semplici”, which means “garden of basic remedies”: it was indeed a place where properties of plants were studied, in order to be given to patients as natural medicines.  

It spreads on a surface of more than 20.000 square metres and more than 6.000 species of plants are cultivated here. In its centre, there is a wide circular garden divided into flowerbeds; it comprises also an arboretum, big pools with water plants, a shrubbery, some greenhouses for tropical plants and areas where all the different kinds of environments with the same climate and flora are created.


More Info:

 

Opening hours:

from April to October: everyday 9:00 a.m.  - 1:00 p.m. / 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.

from November to March: 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. / closed on Sundays and public holidays.

For further information:

tel. 049/8272119 - telefax 049/8272120

e-mail: ortobotanico@unipd.it

Full price entrance ticket € 4,00; reduced price ticket € 3,00; students  € 1,00; University students free.

Torna all'elenco